FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Below are questions we normally get from our potential tenants. If you have questions that are in regard to the Tenant Act of BC please check the RTO website which is very informative – https://www.rto.gov.bc.ca
Why would we want to rent through a rental management company?
- Your home will be kept in better shape as we have contracts with the owners to keep it that way.
- You will have someone on call 24 hours a day for you if there are any issues.
- We can help resolve disagreements between tenants/owners, tenants/neighbors, and roommates.
- As a licensed property management company, we work strictly under the Residential Tenant Act so you know your rental experience will be in alignment with BC law.
- We can help negotiate a better rental rate for you.
- If you want to move we can help with the relocation process.
- We know the town and the market and are working for you to find your best possible home.
Is it not going to be more expensive through a management company?
No. There are no extra costs for renters. Our home owners pay our management fees.
How long are the lease terms?
We prefer 6-month lease terms as a trial period with the option to renew longer term. But we have done shorter and longer leases in the past.
If a property is furnished can we get it without furniture?
The furnishings are at the owner’s discretion and are different on a case by case basis. Most often it is not possible to unfurnish the property as there is nowhere to store the furnishings but it is always worth asking.
Can I negotiate the price of rent?
If you are a fantastic renter, have great references and are looking for a long-term lease we can often negotiate with the homeowner.
What about pets?
Each property is different and at least 25% of our properties are pet-friendly. If you have pets we can do our best to find you a pet-friendly home. We do take a pet deposit which is 50% of a months rent and which is returned at the end of your lease if there has been no pet damage.
Some things to consider:
- Even if a property is not pet-friendly, it is worth asking if the owner would allow a small lap dog.
- We will rarely permit a medium to a large sized dog in an apartment. This is in the best interest of the animal.
Will there be a security deposit?
Yes. We collect a security deposit of 50% of one month’s rent and an additional 50% of one month’s rent if you have a pet. Your deposit is returned at the completion of the lease.
How does Revelstoke Property Services collect rent?
Post dated cheques or e-mail money transfer are our preferred methods of payment.
What about utilities?
Most of our properties do not include utilities and the utilities must be switched over to your name within 3 days of move in.
What would a move out charge consist of?
Our policy as per the tenancy act is that the property is left in the same condition on the move out as it was on the move in.
Reasonable wear and tear are expected. We would use the example of a few scuffs or pinholes on a wall compared to a whole wall needing to be repainted or holes larger than 1 cm which would need to be patched up.
Returning a property to the condition it was at the start of the tenancy most often includes:
- Steam cleaning of carpets
- Minor repairs
- Garbage or furniture removal
How can I avoid getting billed for move out costs?
There are simple ways to avoid move out costs from our company:
- Hire a professional cleaning company.
- Have the carpets professionally steam cleaned. We highly recommend Steamworx. Please do not use the Rug Doctor steam cleaners from the grocery store; they are not effective, and you will still be billed for professional steam cleaning.
- Repair any minor repairs which were the result of your tenancy or actions.
- Remove garbage and any furnishings which were not in your rental at the beginning.